Cookies and Cream Loaf Cake
Summer is here and the kids are home...and driving me up a wall! So when they actually do behave themselves, it's nice to have a treat that's easy to make and fun to eat. So aside from anything with sprinkles, cookies and cream anything is what strikes a chord with my kids. But when one of your kids doesn't like ice cream (i know...I know.... what!?), you don't want to invest the time into making a whole batch of cupcakes with frosting...this easy Cookies and Cream Loaf Cake comes to the rescue!
This cake is an easy one bowl recipe using sour cream instead of butter to keep it moist and light at the same time. The cookies create a great speckled effect and lend their distinctly delicious chocolatey flavor. The cake is topped with more crushed cookies and then dusted with powdered sugar. Ready for this?
The original recipe called for using an electric mixer for the wet ingredients. But since it didn't call for creaming any butter, I decided not to break out the big guns, and went with the tiny guns that are my arms. So I made this with the basic muffin method. First mixing the dry ingredients, then the wet and throwing it all together into one bowl.
So I began by whisking the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, I whisked together the sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and sour cream. Make sure to mix the sugar in with the wet ingredients well. I poured the sour cream mixture into the dry mixture and combined the two with a rubber spatula. Once combined I folded in 1 cup of crushed cookies.
This all goes into a loaf pan that's lined with parchment. Sprinkle a more crushed cookies on top and bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes. It's done once an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Once the load comes out sprinkle with 1/3C of white chocolate chips and allow to cool before dusting with powdered sugar and slicing.
This cake is awesome on it's own, or with a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Just a personal preference! Try it and let me know how it turns out!
Cookies and Cream Loaf Cake
Yields: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 Cups all- purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (approx. 10 cookies), plus more for topping
- 1/3 c white chocolate chips
- Pre Heat Oven to 350 F
- Grease a 8X4 loaf pan and line with parchment so that you have about 2 inches that hang over the sides of the pan. (this makes it easier to life out later!)
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl. Whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Once this is well combined. whisk in the sour cream.
- Pour the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture. Mix together with a rubber spatula. Then fold in the crushed cookies.
- Our the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Once done, immediately top with the white chocolate chips and allow to cool before dusting with powdered sugar and slicing.